1880’s – Early Beginnings
The location of what is now The LARK was once home to Flanders & Lansing Lumberyard. Local resident George Flanders had a lumber mill outside of town and sold building materials. At this time, the area was on the outskirts of what is known today as downtown Bozeman.
1904 – New Lumberyard Ownership
By 1904, Kenyon-Noble Lumber Company’s lumberyard and several smaller buildings replaced the old lumberyard. These buildings were home to bicycle repair, taxidermy shops, and an undertaker. These smaller buildings sat where The LARK parking lot is today.
1930’s – Ever-changing Tenants
Dating back to the mid-1930s, the corner was home to a small business called Crockett’s Repair Shop, which serviced cars and provided locals with their gas and automobile needs.
1963 – New Lumberyard Ownership
After thirty years of auto shops coming and going, Los Angeles-based Imperial “400” Motels took over the corner lot. It was a time of rapid growth for the National Parks and Interstate Highway system, luring families to “See the USA in their Chevrolets” (as the popular 1950s song encouraged). Built in 1963, The Imperial “400” Motel had an original Streamline-era design by Palmer & Krisel and included a pool for hot summer days, though no taco truck to be seen.
1980’s – Shuttered Doors
In the 1980s, the motel ceased to be an Imperial “400” and remained in business as the Imperial Inn up until 2009, when it shuttered its doors for good.
2013 – Fresh Ideas
The lot stood vacant until a local architectural firm saw the opportunity to turn the downtown eyesore into a unique accommodation in 2013. They sought not only to provide an urban escape for travelers, but also a representation of the local community bond as seen in every detail of the design. The owners were a driving force behind the brand development and overall concept for the boutique hotel.
2013 – Renovation Begins
The new architectural plans were implemented to smoothly transition the run-down and abandoned Imperial Inn to the modern and vivacious new establishment, The LARK. Over 200 locals were hired to work on the project.
2015 – Drum Roll Please
The 38-room hotel underwent a major facelift with a new open-air design, an outdoor fire pit, and local art in every room. The owners led the overall development strategy and daily management of the process that made The LARK into the success it has been since opening in April 2015.
Expanding The LARK
Our eagerly anticipated expansion is now complete. The new building, adjacent to The LARK, features 29 additional guestrooms, a retail space on the ground floor, and outdoor areas for travelers and locals alike to enjoy.